Friday, August 22, 2014

Ok, I wasn't sure how to start this blog, but after some serious thinking (I now have a headache... lol) I have determined the best way to start it is with the question that gave me my idea for a business. Here it goes...

Why do baby clothes cost as much as adult clothes when it takes less material and less time to make?

I absolutely LOVE pillowcase outfits. I think they are just so stinking adorable!!! For those who don't know what a pillowcase outfit looks like, I am adding a picture of a couple so you will know what I'm talking about.


See...I told you they are adorable!!! They are considered a boutique item. Everyone is selling them. I've seen them priced from $10 - $80. Why???? Also, I've never seen these outfits offered for infants 0 - 9 months. Just because they are babies doesn't mean they can't wear pillowcase outfits also. I actually made these little outfits and dress. The top one cost me approximately $1.50 to make. It took me about 5 hours to make it, but that was only because I was also watching tv while making it. It actually only takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to make and I just started sewing and making them so the more I make the quicker and easier and prettier they should be.  The bottom outfit (John Deere outfit) took me a little longer, but again, I'm still working on my techniques. The dress was EASY and quick to make. I probably cost me about $4 to make and that's because the green material wasn't on sale, but it was too perfect for this outfit not to get it. I go to thrift stores and buy new pillowcases and sheets for like $1.00 - $2.00 a piece for them. I also buy material when I catch it on sale or on clearance. I also shop at places like DIRTCHEAP where I can buy brand new pillowcases for $2.00 each. My idea is to start a family business sewing children's clothes. I have two nieces that are very talented in the creativity department and sewing department also. I want to start slow...and when I say slow, I mean S.... L....O....W!!! I want to build up an inventory and then sell them at festivals and maybe, online to begin with. My plan is to start off small and then build it up to where the business will basically pay for itself without having to have investors or loans. I have a sewing machine and an embroidery machine. I also make pacifier holders and plan on adding blankets and burp cloths. I also upload adult clothes to make children's clothes. So for right now...this is my 1st blog. I will blog a little more later.

This is Becky signing off...nanoo...nanoo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment